Sodium Percarbonate – Dry Oxygen Bleach

MAF approved C33

Sodium Percarbonate is a solid, effective, and safer alternative to “chlorine” type bleaches and may be used for whitening, sanitising, brightening, and deodorizing.

Sodium Percarbonate may be used as a soak for nappies or other foul linen plus may be added to the wash cycle to provide a bleaching action.

Sodium carbonate may be used in a wash at the boil and will not fix hibitane stains. Sodium Percarbonate may be used for flame retardant treated fabrics, is suitable for most easy care finished fabrics, and is safer for use with certain dyed fabrics.

Directions

Sodium Percarbonate is normally added to the start of the hot wash cycle predissolved in cold water at a rate of 300g per 100kg of dry work. The wash temperature must be above 60C for good results. Once Sodium Percarbonate is in the form of a stock solution it deteriorates rapidly. For this reason it is recommended that the appropriate amount of Sodium Percarbonate is weighed out and dissolved for each load of the day.

For soaking applications make up a solution of 11g (about two rounded teaspoons) of Sodium Percarbonate per 10 liters of water. This solution will retain some activity up to 24 hours later.

Note 1: Sodium Percarbonate is certainly a lot safer than most other bleaches however because all bleaches cause chemical damage always restrict usage to the recommended levels.

Note 2: Sodium Percarbonate closely resembles sodium perborate in its method of use though slightly less is normally required: try using ¾ of the weight specified for perborate initially.

Technical

Sodium Percarbonate (also known as sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate) is a pure chemical, supplied in 25kg multiwalled paper bags, with an active oxygen content of over 12%. Because Sodium Percarbonate is a strong oxidiser it must be treated with care: spills must be swept up and disposed of by flushing down the sewer. Sodium Percarbonate is extremely irritating if it contacts eye tissue or is inhaled as a dust.

First Aid

Ingested: Do not induce vomiting. Give water to drink. Obtain medical attention urgently.

Eye: Immediately flood with copious quantities of water, holding eye open if necessary for at least 15 minutes. Seek urgent medical assistance.

Skin: Immediately wash with water. Wash contaminated clothing before re-use.

Inhalation: Remove from exposure, keep warm and at rest. If there is respiratory distress give oxygen. Obtain medical attention.